Are you more inclined to listen to Marshall Mathers than Matt Mays? More into LMFAO than I-FS? Fair enough. No judgement here – listen to what makes you happy! But when you need a break from your standard rotation, take a spin through these tunes by some local boys and girls (if they’re not on your playlist already). In no particular order, here are some of my top east coast tunes.
6. Jenn Grant – Getcha Good – This fun song makes me wish that I too could break into a spontaneous dance routine with a crowd of joyful friends and strangers in Halifax’s colorful north end.
5. Ria Mae – Under Your Skin – The title track off of Ria Mae’s recent release – video featuring the streets of Halifax at night.
4. In-Flight Safety – Surround – From 2007, this one is a little bit of an oldie, but definitely a goodie!
3. Steven Bowers – Boy Who Lost an Eye – Bowers has a new album, but this song from his 2008 release ‘Homing’ is one of my favorites.
2. Rich Aucoin – Brian Wilson is A.L.I.V.E – This song (and the rest of the album) is joyous and infectious. Just accept that you will be dancing when these beats hit your ears.
1. Kathleen Edwards – Change the Sheets – Edwards was just on David Letterman performing this song and she was awesome.
* Edit – As a clever reader pointed out, Kathleen Edwards is actually from Ottawa. But she’s got some east coast connections, as she’s lent her vocal abilities to Matt Mays & El Torpedo and collaborated with lots of other East Coast musicians. So I’m keeping her on the list.